UCI Theses and Dissertations Manual - 6.5. Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Access to University Archives

1. Where is University Archives located and how can I reach you?
Room 525 of UCI's Langson Library. Take the north elevators (near the Check-Out Desk) to the 5th floor and enter the door to the Special Collections and Archives Reading Room. You can reach us by using the Thesis/Dissertation Consultation Request Form.

2. When are you open?
During the academic quarter we are open 11:00-5:00 p.m. Monday-Friday. During summer and intersessions we are open 1:00-5:00 p.m. Monday-Friday. We are closed on all University holidays. More information on hours and our location is available here.

3. Do I need an appointment?
Yes. Please request an appointment using the Thesis/Dissertation Consultation Request Form. You may also submit a draft of your thesis or dissertation and we can remotely review your formatting of the manuscript. You can also ask any questions regarding the process or any formatting questions.

[top of page]

Formatting Requirements

4. What are the formatting requirements for my thesis/dissertation? Is an online template available?
Follow the instructions in the UCI Thesis and Dissertation Manual, located on the Web at http://special.lib.uci.edu/paper/tdmanual. Please note that the Manual will answer most, if not all, the questions you may have about formatting your thesis/dissertation. There are templates available for Word and LaTeX. The Special Collections and Archives Department maintains the official thesis and dissertation Word templates. The LaTeX template is for dissertations only. It is not official and it is not maintained by Special Collections and Archives. However, it is accurate as of September 2013.Links to thesis and dissertation Word and LaTeX templates are available at the top of this webpage: http://special.lib.uci.edu/paper/td6

5. Can I use a manual from another UC?
No, you must use UCI's manual.

6. Can I use an old version of UCI's manual?
No, you must use the current Manual. Policies and procedures change over time.

7. What type of paper must I use? Is a watermark acceptable?
100% cotton paper, as specified in the Manual. Most such paper carries a watermark, which says "100% cotton" as part of its text.

8. How do I determine the correct name of my degree?
The degrees awarded by UCI are listed in the latest UCI General Catalogue, as well as in the Manual. Use the exact wording specified for your degree. Note that the name of your degree may not match the name of your department. More information about graduate degrees is here: https://grad.uci.edu/academics/degree-programs/index.php

9. What are the margin requirements?
1 inch at the left, right, top, and bottom margins. You must adhere to these margin requirements, which are established to allow binding and/or microfilming of your T/D without loss of information. Be sure to measure each section with a ruler; don't rely on the margins setting of your word processing software without verifying the results on a printout.

10. What is the correct spacing of the preliminary pages? How many blank lines should I use between sections?
Consult the samples at the end of the Manual. Although there is no strict spacing requirement for most of these pages, the end result should generally look like the samples. Note that the margin requirements also pertain to the preliminary pages.

[top of page]


11. What are the submission deadlines for upcoming academic quarters?

Available at https://grad.uci.edu/academics/filing-deadlines.php
*Dates are subject to change.

12. Is it possible to obtain an extension to the submission deadline?
The University Archives is not able to approve extensions.

13. What is the final day to turn in my thesis/dissertation without paying fees for the following quarter?
The "drop-dead" deadline changes from quarter to quarter; sometimes it is only a few days after the initial submission deadline, other times it is as much as several weeks later. In general, the "drop-dead" deadline falls on the day before the official start of the following quarter. Note that for any manuscript submitted after the initial submission deadline, the degree is awarded for the following academic quarter. It therefore is not necessary to obtain an extension in order to submit by this date.

[top of page]


Critique/Submission Procedures

14. Is a critique of my thesis/dissertation required prior to bringing the full manuscript in for submission?
No, but it is strongly advisable, or you may find yourself in the position of having to go back and revise portions of your thesis/dissertation when you come in to submit the final manuscript.

15. Do I need to bring a complete copy of my thesis/dissertation if I come in for a critique?
No, but you should at least bring the preliminary pages and a chapter or two, plus any figures or tables about which you may have questions. These samples may be on any type of paper.

16. How long does a critique or a submission take?
Usually no more than 10 minutes, depending on your questions and how carefully you have followed the Manual.

17. Do I have to submit my thesis/dissertation myself?
No, anyone can bring it in for you, or you can choose to mail it to the University Archives (UC Irvine, attn: Special Collections and Archives, P.O. Box 19557, Irvine CA 92623-9557). Be sure to provide a telephone number or email address where you can be reached in case we determine that any changes are necessary, or if you wish to be notified whether your manuscript is acceptable. Note that you are responsible for making any necessary changes before the Archives staff will sign off on your submission. Your submission is not complete until we have signed off.

18. Do I have to pay any fees when I submit my thesis/dissertation?
Students submitting their masters thesis must pay the $55 Master's Thesis Submission Fee at the Cashier's Office before submitting their completed "Signature Page / Report on Final Examination" form. the Cashiers will then stamp the form to indicate receipt of the payment. No other fees are required, but if you are including a form authorizing ProQuest Information and Learning Company to apply for registration of your copyright, you must include the fee specified on that form (currently $65.00) in the form of a money order or certified check payable to PQIL. If you are ordering copies of your manuscript through UMI, you must include a money order, certified check, or credit card information. If you submit electronically you can pay these fees online using your credit card.

19. Where do I obtain the necessary forms to accompany my thesis/dissertation?
The forms for a master's thesis are online in section 5.2 of the manual. The forms for a doctor dissertation are online in section 5.3 of the manual.

20. I'm a student in the School of the Arts. Can I submit my thesis to you even if it's not required?
Yes, if you would like to have a copy of your manuscript bound and housed in the UCI Libraries collection you may submit your thesis to the University Archives. You must follow the formatting guidelines in this manual; however, the formatting of your signature page should follow your School's guidelines for the Report of a Thesis page.

21. What materials must I submit to Archives?
See the cover checklist attached to your forms packet, or refer to section 5 of the Manual.

22. How can I get bound copies of my thesis/dissertation for my department or myself?
For Ph.D. dissertations, you may order copies from ProQuest at a reduced rate available only at the time of initial publication. The order form is included in your UMI forms packet. These copies are made from the microfilmed copy of your manuscript and are approximately 2/3 the size of the original text.

You can locate binders by looking in the local yellow pages or online, e.g., Yahoo Business Directory.

[6.6. Points to Double Check]